Shouldn’t Laugh In Church and etc

No photo with this post….just use your imagination!😀🥴😳😂

So last week, a member of the bishopric came into Relief Society while the teacher was giving the lesson and showed me a paper for the plan for the next Sacrament meeting. He pointed to my name, which was listed next to “speaker”and then to the topic. That is how I was assigned to speak in Sacrament meeting. Fine. Not the easiest topic to speak on (signs of the second coming) but I nodded my head “yes.”


After church Hal said he had been asked to say the closing prayer in the upcoming Sacrament meeting. Fine.


A couple of days later, Bishop Mwanza called Hal and asked if WE would assist Brother Penny in giving the 5th Sunday lesson in Sunday School. Topic was Family History. I’m comfortable with that.


So we planned and prepared for our assignments….


In church today the counselor conducting announced who would be speaking and how long they would speak. (This particular ward always specified how long the speaker will speak.) The sister before me was to take 3 minutes and I thought he said I would speak for 5 minutes (Hal thought he said 25). I had a 10 minute talk prepared.

My mind started racing, “ok, what do I cut out, etc, etc.!

Then the sister before me was not in the congregation….

My turn! My mind raced some more, “ok she didn’t show so now I have extra time….”


Hal is trying to stifle laughter!! 


Remember I play the piano so we were looking at each other and I could see him shaking with laughter!


I got up and gave my talk. It went fair. I sat down. Then the Bishopric member gets up and announces the rest of the program:


“We will now hear from Elder Phelps.” Hal looks at me, points to himself as if to say, “did he just say me?” I nod my head.


Now, I’m trying to stifle laughter.


He did a great job and sat down.


Then the Bishopric member gets up and announces the closing hymn and prayer: I thought he said, Sister Phelps will give the prayer.” Hal had forgotten that HE had been assigned to give the prayer. I wasn’t about to.

Some one entirely different got up and said the prayer!

Phew! One assignment down; one to go!


It took a while to set up the TV so I could project my phone screen there. Brother Penny was quite confident that we needed a computer and the big screen so he took time to set that all up.


Brother Penny spoke.

I tried to teach the class members how to get a FamilySearch account. No searching records! No merging people! No adding sources or memories….just the very, very basics!! Pretty much blank stares!!How do you teach someone FamilySearch??

Hal spoke.

Near the very end while Brother Penny was closing, this gray little salamander crawls in under the door near where I was sitting 

You will all be so proud of me! I didn’t scream or run away!


Fed meals to two separate sets of elders, one lunch, one dinner; one previously planned, the other was spur of the moment. Not enough food to feed both sets of elders so I had to prepare separate meals. Hal loves to have people over for dinner. I’m pretty sure he thinks that the only way to show kindness is with food!! I’m not sure that Sundays are my favorite day of the week.

Comments

  1. Wards operate SOO differently in some parts of the world. Good thing they have you to keep things moving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Angels Round About Them

Out of the Hospital