Just some Ramblings

 

At Emily’s request I am just going to make a post of very random things. Since I am doing this on my phone, I don’t know how to rearrange the pictures either! So it will be very random indeed.

The above picture shows how all the missionaries obtain power for each apartment. We have to go downtown and purchase power, hopefully before the missionaries run out. I then send one of these pictures to each set of missionaries living in 36 different apartments. They have to punch in the code numbers to their power meter, then it will regenerate and power is added. This week a couple of apartments ran out. It is quite a process to get the missionaries to respond punctually. I guess they learn their lesson when they run out!!



One day a couple of weeks ago, some of the missionaries in the Copperbelt region had to come to Lusaka to collect their Temporary work permit. They tried coming on a Friday but got pulled over at a police checkpoint. They were ordered off the bus and detained for not being compliant to Zambian laws even though they had all of the documentation they needed. After about 5 hours they were told they had to go back to the city they left from, Ndola.
The next day we booked airline tickets for the missionaries who were being transferred to Malawi. The others tried the bus again, with more documents. They were detained again. As soon as they were ordered off the bus, the bus took off (we later learned that this was illegal because is should have been only a 5 minute check of select passports). This time the AP’s from Lusaka had to go and get them. Those poor missionaries had to wait 7 hours to be rescued.
The story does not end there. Elder Mputo, from the Democratic Republic of the Congo had had his visa denied twice already. We had been told that the service provider HAD to accompany him to Immigration to collect his permit. On two different days, even though I had talked to the gentleman personally, he did not show up. Finally, I was instructed by my contact person in South Africa to let him just go without the service provider. Hal went with him and he collected his permit without incident! 
We wanted to get him back on a bus to his teaching area in the Copperbelt so we went as fast as we could to the bus station… if you can call it that. It is pretty much total chaos and confusion there!! Luckily Hal found a quick place to park. I waited in the truck. The above picture is the view from the front window. After a few minutes these huge greyhound like busses started coming down a skinny little Zambian road and of course wanted to turn on the corner right where we were parked. The first bus missed the front of the truck by no more that an inch!!!! I was holding my breath, very worried, and wishing Hal would come back quickly!! 
Some men started to motion for me to move the truck. So very reluctantly I ran around the truck to the drivers side and pulled the truck across that little street corner to a better parking place so another huge bus could pass by!  So there! I drove in Zambia!!!! I was relieved beyond measure when Hal showed up shortly there after!!


While all of you are freezing cold, we are enjoying this kind of beauty here! Weather is still in the 80’s.


Last week a lady asked me to teach her how to do indexing. She was very computer savvy so this was very easy! As we were finishing up she said, “Now I don’t have to go anywhere and I don’t have to watch TV!” She was so happy!! A couple of days ago I also was able to help one of the ladies going to the temple next week to enter and clear names for her to complete ordinance work for while she is there! Grandparents, aunts, cousins! Family history brings true joy to people’s lives!!


This was the bus that Elder Mputo was able to catch! After the incident I described we have now changed bus companies!! For whatever reason it was very obvious that the missionaries were being targeted!!


This is a sign we saw a couple of days ago. Sounds pretty appetizing…Termite meat suppliers!!


 
President Moyo rolled out a mission vision for the next three years. This shows the areas of focus that he wants the missionaries to take as they labor in God’s kingdom. This is his five year vision plan: Five stakes by 2025!! Currently there is only one! We’ve got work to do but the missionaries are SO excited about doing their part!!
They are doubling their efforts in how many people they contact and teach with a focus on families. Within just one week they have already seen miracles!! In order to create stakes in Malawi, the two zones there have a goal to baptize 400 in Blantyre and 394 in Lilongwe over the next twelve months. The focus in those areas needs to be worthy Priesthood holders.

  

Christmas decorations at one of the malls here! At first glance I thought that this was a weird tree! But it is beautiful in its own way!! Merry Christmas! Enjoy your family’s! And of course remember the Savior in all you do throughout the season! 


My latest piano student. He is studying to be a doctor. He is so excited to learn to play the piano. Brother Chola is a solid member of the church! He was so nervous when he made a mistake even though I kept telling him that making mistakes is okay, no worries, especially when just learning!

 

Once in awhile we need a little diversity and relaxation after a long day at the office. Hal found this game at a China shop. Those are kind of like Dollar stores back home; cheap wares but more expensive. Hal also bought a Rubic cube but it broke on the very first twist!!
This Crossword puzzle was just like Scabble but the game board said “numbers one to ten.” We played it anyway and Hal was right proud of himself  when he beat me!!

I have made a homemade pancake mix that is fast for breakfast. Sometimes I chop up some apples and put in it. One morning Hal made breakfast. I noticed the pancakes were a little darker than usual so I said something. He replied that he had broken up some Oreo cookies in it. I couldn’t taste the difference but Hal thought they were delicious!! It is really hard to know what to eat for breakfast. Since we go so long during the day without eating, breakfast is a must!


This cute little boy’s hair cracks me up! His name is Alfred and here he was practicing his part for the Primary Program next week. Last Sunday one of the Primary Presidency asked if I would please come and play the piano for them in Primary! So I am back in Primary for the 4th time!  The piano is up on rollers so I have to stand to play. Interesting but it works!


I have a four month calendar in my office . I took November down and put up March. That’s exciting because the next one that goes up will be April! That means we will get to come home!!!

Well, I hope that hasn’t bored you all to pieces!! Love you all!!

Comments

  1. Hey, Mama! Maybe commenting will miraculously work this time! I like that little boys hair too. Looks like he's trying to look a little taller. :-)

    The pictures of the people in their environment always look so destitute. It saddens me. Do you find the mission emotionally draining a lot of the time just because the people are so poor and seemingly in captivity in a sense because of the terrible government? Or are you able to associate more with those in the church who may be more well-taken care of and capable to lift your spirits?

    I'm curious... since you have been living in the Zambia for about 8 months now, how are you different than when you first got there? What perspectives have changed for you? How has your testimony changed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many members, I don't really know how many, live in circumstances like in the picture above. Of course the picture is of a market street and not their homes. We have not been in very many homes but the few we have been in are quite sad! We have also walked down just a few of the streets and it is pretty bad. Just dirt and dirty. But not their homes. They keep their homes clean the best they can. What is incredible to me is how happy they are. They often greet you, whether they know you or not, with a smile, a hand over heart (their sign of showing respect), a "how are you?" Maybe it is all they know so there is no comparison, I don't know.
      How are we different than when we first arrived? I guess for me the obvious is that I am more tolerant though there are certainly many times I think, "Why do they do that!?" of "if they just would..." We just accept them as they are. Isn't that what the Savior did? Well, of course we are not perfect like the Savior, but we try to have more compassion and empathy.
      The biggest testimony building that I have had since being here is recognizing how lovingly the Savior answers my heartfelt pleas through the scriptures. Many times when I have had a particularly hard day, when I read the scriptures at the end of the day, so many, many times there is a verse or a line that brings solace to my soul and calms me. How the scriptures can fit the circumstance so well at that particular time is a miracle to me and impossible to be just coincidental!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Angels Round About Them

Lots of good-byes